When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

HERE SHE IS, MY DAUGHTER – JAMIE GREEN

Last night I was giving Jamie a ride to work. Being stuck in traffic, I struck up the conversation about her favorite memory and her childhood. 

As we crept along, she was lost in thought.  Finally, I turned the radio up for company, thinking she was just too tired to talk.  I am so proud of her.  She has taken a labor-intensive job to support her family, and she might only be 25 years old, but what she is doing is tiring work, so I decided if she could answer my questions, I would make this cold Wednesday day hers.

After 20 minutes we arrived at the door of her factory.  She unlocked and opened Myrtle’s door, put one foot out, pulled that leg back in, shut the door and said, “The time you took us to Disney World.” 

Huh?” I asked, having almost forgotten the earlier conversation.

The time you took Ian and me to Disney World is my most memorable time. It really WAS magical!  And as a little kid, I used to go to the basement with Ian and we’d take Dad’s dolly that he used to move heavy furniture, put it down on its wheels, use tape to tape those tomato cages on the front, and then set up those big plastic bowling pins and push each other like it was a go-cart and knock down those pins! We’d wear helmets and dress up like super heroes and…”  Here, I had to remind her that the buzzer was about to go off and she was going to miss getting clocked in on time if she didn’t go.

Is it not amazing how you can start thinking about happy moments like that and your whole day goes better?  I hope that those thoughts sustained Jamie last night as she worked her little tail off.  I know her family appreciates how hard she works. 

I plan on learning more about those little basement dwellers on our trip tonight!

Top of the mornin’ to ya, Jamie!

No comments:

Post a Comment