When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION! KRIS NORDMANN-HUFFSTODT

Where I grew up, there was not a lot of excitement in our little town, but there was plenty of excitement in our little neighborhood. 

I lived outside the city limits in a ranch house which sat on about half-an-acre of yard, and our neighbors, who lived just up the lane, consisted of two very out-numbered parents, Ken and Theresa, and five well-behaved, well-mannered children.  (Yes, I snickered). My mom took care of all of us when we were in our yard, and Theresa took care of all of us when we were in hers.  Occasionally they took care of each other’s kids whether they were in one of the yards or not, and could bring us down several notches just with a look.  Not that we ever did anything to cause any trouble, mind you, but just in case we might consider it, we were well aware of what fate might befall us once we were in proximity of my mother, or theirs.

Kris was the next to youngest in that sibling constellation.  She was always such a sweetheart!  I often mention, even today, that she was like a little imp floating around, just gracing us all with her presence.  I always think of dimples and sugar and spice and everything nice when I think of “little” Kris. 

Kris grew up, married, had children, and has battled cancer most of her adult life, but she never stops, never gives up, and always portrays hope, elegance, and grace.  I am so proud and humbled to be sharing space with her.  A nod to you, Krissy. 

“My most memorable moment(s) have to be when my boys were born. I feel these moments were the happiest, the hardest work I had ever done, (they were both sunny side up and required forceps), and the best and most awesome thing Tom and I could have ever done.

My favorite activity a child? I would have to say just playing outside. Riding our bikes up and down the lane road, at night playing big foot tag, sneaking over to the county lot and playing in the sand all day. That was awesome when they would have mountains of sand as tall as our house. (You know now that I think about that mom never complained about having sand in the house and I know she had to have a ton)! And just playing out side all day long in the summer. For snacks we would eat fresh peaches and apples off the tree. And you know it was not just the five of us kids. Mike was always in the thick of it with us. And you were there too, occasionally.”

Say hi to Kris, one of the bravest women I have ever had the pleasure of meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment