When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

JAMIE SAWYER SCOTT TAKES THE STAGE

Sometimes, just about the time you think you may be the only person in the world who enjoys sleeping in a lounger on the patio all summer so you can gaze at the sky, make wishes on stars, and fantasize about what it might be like on one of those distant planets, you meet someone who understands and embraces the same things.

That happened when I met Jamie.  We went from enjoying a weekend of music in the same club at the same time, to swapping photos and our dreams of time travel and zipping around through the Milky Way.

Applause, Jamie, for your heart-felt stories!  And undoubtedly one of the most patient people I know, judging by the below EPT wait-out tale!

“I have had so many memorable moments, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the day that I found out I was pregnant with my first child. I had just graduated college and my husband and I decided it was time to start our family. Only a few weeks later, I suspected that I was pregnant. It was the weekend, and I was going nuts trying to wait for Monday to get an appointment with the doctor.

On that Sunday morning my husband went out to play golf, and I went out for an EPT test. This was 1981, and the tests were somewhat new and not at all like the ones today. I took the test and it said if you were pregnant that a little black ring or "donut" would appear in the bottom of the cup. This took several HOURS, and I waited impatiently for the results. Finally, it appeared, a perfect little donut in the cup! I was so excited I wanted to run and call everyone I knew, but of course I had to tell my husband first. There was no way to contact him out on the golf course, so I sat at the window and waited for his car to pull in the drive.  Many hours later, I finally got to run out and tell him the news! It was absolutely one of the most exciting days of my life! My "little donut," Nicholas Andrew, arrived on April 5, 1982.”

When I asked Jamie what her favorite thing to do when she was a kid was, she was more than happy to relive this:

 
“My favorite activity as a child?  That's easy!  My Papa made us a tire swing out of an old tire and tied to a tall pine tree. It was back in the woods far enough that when I was on it I felt like I was in my own little magical world. I would swing and spin for hours, singing and dreaming. What I loved most was when Papa would come out and push me really high. He always said ‘One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and away you go!’ Then with that last mighty push I would fly through the air and throw my head back laughing. That was pure joy. What I wouldn't give to do that again!”

Thank you for sharing, Jamie!  May you have an awesome Christmas, my stargazing buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment