When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

SAY HAPPY SUNDAY TO MY CUZ – THOMAS COX

I was very lucky to have a huge and supportive extended family when I was growing up.  There were aunts and uncles and cousins, all just waiting to either love each of us, discipline us, or, in the case of the older cousins, send us wailing to our parents! 

Tom, who we called Tobe, and I don’t have any idea why that was, is Tracy’s older brother.  Being way older than me (ahem) meant that we never had a very close relationship in the sense that kids of the same age have, but I always felt protected around him. 

We have all moved to different corners of the Country, mostly, and Tom lives in Tucson and is a desert dweller and one of the funniest people I know.  I love him, and here are his answers to what will forever be known as “The Questions.”

“Tom?” I asked.  “What is your most memorable moment?”

He said, (and I have to admit I am a bit disappointed by this), “Actually it wasn't when you were born.  It was when my first son, Chad, was born. I remember going to the hospital to see he and Donna. I stopped at the Dairy Queen to get Donna a milkshake. I proudly proclaimed to the DQ guy that it was for my wife and newborn son, and he profoundly stated:  ‘That will be 35 cents. Thank you.’”

“Two things I loved doing when I was a kid was playing in my tree house across the street from my house on King Street. (where i fell and broke my arm, only bone I ever broke in my body), and roller skating at Harper's roller rink.”

So there is a little information about Tom Cox with memories of a time when you could actually buy a milkshake for thirty-five cents!  The guy who was always willing to give me a hand! 

No comments:

Post a Comment