When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

WELCOME TO MY BLOG, SHARON HAMILTON!

My folks and I lived in a little square house in a little square town when I was little.  I remember loving that house, that yard!  But one of my most vivid memories is of my cousin, Sharon, who sometimes stayed with us.  I loved her so much, still do!  She was a big sister to me, and there are old photos of us standing together in front of the house, her smiling her pretty superstar smile and me beside her, looking up at her admiringly. 

This past couple of years have brought us back together, and when we’re sitting together drinking coffee, talking, it is almost like there was never a lull. 

I love her, period.  Here’s her story. 

“I have lived a very full and memorable 62 years. Even though my memory is not as sharp as it used to be , there are still many moments that I will never forget, and some I am still trying to. Most parents say that the birth of their children are high on their list . But  if I am honest here I will have to say ( with much regret ) that the death of my son, David, is mine.


After watching Dave battle serious health issues for nine years and being his full time caregiver He took his LAST Breath in May, 2008 at the age of 34 yrs. old. I was standing at his bedside with my hand on his heart and heard the flutter of angel wings as his spirit left his body ... Most parents die before their children and that's the way it should be!

And now, I’ll switch gears and answer your other question:  What was my favorite thing to do as a kid?

As a little girl I loved two things the most.  Even though I enjoyed swimming at the Fairfield Pool, going to the Strand Theater every Saturday for a movie, the roller skating rink with my cousins, and riding my bike (that is another story) , my favorite of all was spending time with my Grammy Iva Cox and going EVERYWHERE with my dad, George Shoultz. I was his shadow. In the summer he would take me to work with him in his Oil Field Truck. Bless his heart, I would chatter for hours and I still DO! They are the two people I strive to be more like, even though our entire family is a groovy bunch and I am proud to have had them all in my Life!!!”

MOM, SHARON CALLED ME GROOVY!!!  (Imagine a little girl looking stars-struck here).  Nothing meant more to us little girls than to have the older ones include us and act like they liked us. 

I can hardly wait to hear the bike story.  We’ll have Sharon back in the future to tell us that!

1 comment:

  1. I remember babysitting for Sharon's kids and the Burt Reynolds' Playgirl pinup on the wall. :-)

    ReplyDelete