When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Friday, December 4, 2009

MEET GINNY ALEXANDER

My friend, Ginny, is from Birmingham, and she is, I think, an angel on earth!  We have gone to concerts together, taken care of one another, and drank lots of wine together!  I am not going to change the beautiful narrative she sent for me to post here.  Here it is in it's entirety:


"Oh wow, there are so many memorable moments in my life. Some are wonderful, some not so wonderful. Going to the beach with friends families as a child, climbing the big black walnut tree in my front year in the rain trying to find my little sister's parakeet after she accidentally took him out of his cage and he flew out the front door, the 100 year snow of '93, meeting the Cisco Kid at the State Fair when I was six, his kissing my cheek and me fainting dead away!! I have a thing about cowboys! LOL. So many memories but I believe my most memorable time was the birth of my frist grandchild. That sounds like something all women might say, but, and I think all would agree, the birth of your first grandchild is unforgettable.

We arrived at the hospital and spent time with the kids before the 'show' began. I was amazed at the changes in the 23 years since my youngest son Kevin was born. My daughter-in-law was in a suite and a really nice one at that. Ashley's aunt was there with me as her mom had passed away the year before. We were really excited, chattering away like magpies. I think we may have irritated the mom-to-be. LOL. After a while, it was time for the baby to be born and we were ushered out to the waiting room. Connie and I were so animated that night. We couldn't sit still. We walked back and forth from the waiting room to outside Ashley's room listening for the sweet cries of a new born. There was also a teensy little window on the door that we would peer in to see if we could see something. After about 4 visits, we noticed that someone had covered up the window! We also got the evil eye from the nurses station.

Finally, Todd came out with the biggest smile on his face! Luke was born. We went in the room. Connie and I were feeling some timid at this point. Why I could not tell you. After all the hyperness we shared earlier, we stood there like stone statues. When I held Luke for the very first time, I felt a warmth I had never felt before. Not even with the birth of my own 2 sons. This little boy is my heart. I was completely under his spell. Even now. Almost 3 years later, his sister Lily arrived. Her birth was special as well and I love her every bit as much as Luke, but his birth will always stand out in my mind.

I had so many things I loved to do as a child. I loved to swing, roller skate, play with my dolls, ride my bike, read, write and play kickball with the neighborhood kids. I especially loved climbing trees. The big Black Walnut in the front yard was a major part of my life. I was not a tomboy, though, I was a daintly little thing, but I would climb to the top of the tree, scaring the daylights out of my neighbors, though my own family just shrugged it off. I loved to sit in that tree and write in a notebook. I was a daydreamer as a young child and I could close my eyes and place myself wherever I wanted to be. It started out as a means of escape that has lasted to this day."

1 comment: